Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
1168-1170 Elk Street (House), Franklin, Venango County, PA

1168-1170 Elk Street (House), Franklin, Venango County, PA

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall640x516
  • save_altMedium1024x826
  • save_altLarge1600x1290
  • save_altOriginal3840x3097
description

Summary

Significance: This former house, also know locally as the Latchaw Building, is part of the Franklin Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is significant as a typical example of the vernacular architecture found within the Franklin Historic District and represents a tangible link to the area's historic oil industry, which profoundly altered the course of economic development in the town, region, and nation. Several previous owners of the property were associated with the oil industry, including James T. Hall, an auditor for the Standard Oil Company, and William U. Besley, a late 19th century treasurer with the Eclipse Lubricating Oil Company of Franklin.
Survey number: HABS PA-5965
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 84003583

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Hall, James T
Standard Oil Company
Resley, William U
Eclipse Lubricating Oil Company
place

Location

Franklin (Venango County, Pa.)41.39775, -79.82655
Google Map of 41.3977521, -79.8265485
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Explorewilliam u resley

Explorejames t hall

Exploreeclipse lubricating oil company