1168-1170 Elk Street (House), Franklin, Venango County, PA
Significance: This former house, also know locally as the Latchaw Building, is part of the Franklin Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is significant as a typical example of the vernacular architecture found within the Franklin Historic District and represents a tangible link to the area's historic oil industry, which profoundly altered the course of economic development in the town, region, and nation. Several previous owners of the property were associated with the oil industry, including James T. Hall, an auditor for the Standard Oil Company, and William U. Besley, a late 19th century treasurer with the Eclipse Lubricating Oil Company of Franklin.
Survey number: HABS PA-5965
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 84003583