12401 Sussex Lane (House), Bowie, Prince George's County, MD
Significance: The house at number 12401 Sussex Lane was the display model for The Manor House, the largest considered for construction at Belair. It was one of twelve models built between 1960 and 1967 on Sussex Lane, which comprised the sales and exhibit center for Belair at Bowie, Maryland. They line the south side of the street, facing north across a grassy park in full view of MD Route 450, which at the time was one of the major east-west arteries between Washington and Annapolis. This particular example was ultimately the only one built at Belair as the firm discontinued the model before any were constructed elsewhere in the development. The building was subsequently used by Levitt and Sons as its sales office until the completion of Belair's single-family sections in 1968 at which time it was reconverted into a house and, like the other display models, sold for residential occupancy.
Survey number: HABS MD-1267
Building/structure dates: 1960 Initial Construction