1930 West Laurel Street (House), Tampa, Hillsborough County, FL
Significance: The building's architectural and historical significance is derived from its contribution to the West Tampa National Register Historic District. This ca. 19190 two-story Colonial Revival inspired frame vernacular residence was altered in December 2001. The front facade was stuccoed and new fixed glass windows were placed in new openings; all other existing window openings received new metal window sash. Some of its historic features, however, remain intact such as the wood Tuscan porch columns, pressed tin roof shingles, gable vents, diamond shaped window,wood drop siding and exterior window trim on the east and west elevations, wood newel post and stair balustrade. The city of West Tampa was established in 1895 as a community adjacent to, but separate from, the City of Tampa and remained an incorporated city for thirty years. Like Ybor City, West Tampa was originally developed to promote the cigar industry in Tampa. In 1887, a group of Tampa businessmen, led by Tampa lawyer Hugh C. Macfarlane, began to promote the area west of the Hillsborough River as a possible location for a second cigar manufacturing center. They were successful as cigar factories, social clubs, schools, residences, commercial buildings and other public institutions were constructed. Most of the housing consisted of wood frame vernacular rowhouses and bungalows. This house was originally a good example of the larger two-story residences scattered among the bungalows and rowhouses in West Tampa.
Survey number: HABS FL-483
Building/structure dates: 1910 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 2001 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 83003539