Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
220 Pearl Street (Commercial Building), Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County, MI

220 Pearl Street (Commercial Building), Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County, MI

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall640x507
  • save_altMedium1024x811
  • save_altLarge1600x1268
  • save_altOriginal3840x3043
  • photo_size_select_largeUpscale 2x7680x6086


Significance: The building is a typical example of early twentieth century eclectic brick commercial building. / The single story eclectic brick commercial structure sits on a 11,200 square foot lot at the corner of Pearl and Adams Streets which Doctor Thomas Show bought in 1889 and developed to contain both his residence and his surgery. The form of the building is a square block with a three-quarter circular element at the south-west corner. The siting originally presented a primary facade to both streets by virtue of replicated stone and wood porches on the west and south elevations with a secondary entrance at the north elevation. From photographic documentation showing both porches and due to the existence of a full height center wall penetrating the roof, it appears that the building was originally built as a duplex commercial structure. The one over one double hung wood windows have a cast concrete head and sill. The exposed foundation is of a random patterned field stone matching the Victorian house built by Dr. Shaw on the north half of the lot and contains periodic nine-lite rectangular wood windows into the basement. The flat pitched roof slopes from south to north. The original porches were removed and the entrance was replaced with a Moderne style porch of stone, metal handrail and aluminum canopy and the main entrance door was surrounded by a wood beadboard panel treatment at or about this same time. A brick appendage attached to the north facade houses a stairway connecting the first floor with the basement and is located where the third original porch had existed (also circa 1938). A wooden barrier free ramp and steps have been added more recently.
Survey number: HABS MI-341



Historic American Buildings Survey, creator




Library of Congress

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted.


Explorepearl street


Library Of Congress

The objects in this archive are from Library of Congress - the nation’s first established cultural institution and the largest library in the world, with millions of items including books, recordings, photographs, maps and manuscripts in its collections. The Library provides Congress, the federal government and the American people with a rich, diverse and enduring source of knowledge to inform, inspire and engage them and support their intellectual and creative endeavors.

Disclaimer: A work of the Library of Congress is "a work prepared by an officer or employee" of the federal government "as part of that person's official duties." In general, under section 105 of the Copyright Act, such works are not entitled to domestic copyright protection under U.S. law and are therefore in the public domain. This website is developed as a part of the world's largest public domain archive,, and not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress,

Developed by GetArchive, 2015-2020