521 Eleventh Street, Northwest (Commercial), Square 347, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
Significance: This simple brick rowhouse was probably built ca. 1853 for William B. Avery, a clerk in the Land Office. Its form is typical of the modest residential structures constructed in Washington prior to the Civil War. By 1891, the building had become a commercial storefront (D.C. Building Permit 883, October 19, 1891). The shift to commercial use of the building is typical of the evolution of 19th century dwellings in Washington's old downtown. The building contributes to the Pennsylvania Avenue National Historic Site.
Survey number: HABS DC-799
Building/structure dates: ca. 1853 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1898 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1908 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1909 Subsequent Work