Academy Lane (Houses), Nantucket, Nantucket County, MA
1992 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: Academy Lane is located on Academy Hill, once known as Beacon Hill, adjacent to the First Congregational Church (MA-902) and The North Vestry (MA-903). The lane, one of Nantucket's oldest registered roads, is listed on Isaac Coffin's survey of 1799. This project documents eight houses on Academy Lane, between Church Ln. and Westminster St. These buildings form a concise record of the Federal and Greek Revival influence on Nantucket's residential architecture from the late eighteenth century through the great whaling years and subsequent Golden Age of the nineteenth century. These modest buildings were influenced by Quaker traditions, popular pattern books, and available building materials and techniques. Although the houses, landscape, and lane have been modified to accommodate twentieth century use, they still maintain their original character.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-356
Survey number: HABS MA-1262