Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
Addison Chapel, 5610 Addison Road, Seat Pleasant, Prince George's County, MD

Addison Chapel, 5610 Addison Road, Seat Pleasant, Prince George's County, MD

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall640x463
  • save_altMedium1024x740
  • save_altLarge1600x1157
  • save_altOriginal3840x2776
description

Summary

Significance: Addison Chapel is one of the oldest standing ecclesiastical structures in Prince George's County. Although the current chapel (the third on this site) was probably built after the Revolutionary War, its simple Anglican styling reflects the Colonial-era, Church of England-influenced designs, of which few remain. Addison Chapel was first established in 1696 as a chapel of ease for St. John's at Broad Creek. The parish it serves was one of the thirty original Maryland parishes, created in 1692 when the Church of England was first established in the state. It was named for Colonel John Addison, of Oxon Hill plantation, a leading proponent of the Anglican Church. Addison was responsible for the establishment and construction of Addison Chapel. The chapel is also known as the worshipping, and subsequent burial, place of a number of prominent Maryland families such as the Addisons, Lowndes, Stodderts and Calverts.
Survey number: HABS MD-982
Building/structure dates: 1809 Initial Construction

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Klugh, T, transmitter
Lavoie, Catherine C, historian
Boucher, Jack E, photographer
place

Location

Seat Pleasant38.89934, -76.90981
Google Map of 38.899341, -76.909815
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Exploreseat pleasant

Exploreaddison road

Exploreaddison chapel