After the Bulgarians and Austrians were driven from the hills around Monastir, the A.R.C. established ist first civilian hospital in this old Turkish school building. It had the roof, windows and doors shot out by shell-fire and the floors ripped up for the soldiers. But the Americans repaired it with the help of some prisoners of war and is now caring for seventy five people within its walls. The cases are mostly typhus and civilians, wounded by shells and bombs accidentally exploded in the nearby fields. In the background is a Turkish watch-tower, built and used by the Ottomans during their regime over this country to keep a constant eye on the town and surrounding country
Title, date and notes from Red Cross caption card.
Photographer name or source of original from caption card or negative sleeve: A.R.C. France.
Group title: Serbia.
Used in: Ex. Mag. Bureau indef.
Gift; American National Red Cross 1944 and 1952.
General information about the American National Red Cross photograph collection is available at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.anrc
Temp note: Batch 8