Albemarle County Courthouse, Court Square, Charlottesville, Charlottesville, VA
Significance: Built in 1803, the Georgian north portion is typical of Virginia Courthouses of the period. The 1859 south portion has seen many revisions, but survives as an example of Roman Revival Style. In its early days the courthouse served as a community building, prompting Jefferson to call it "the common temple."
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-250
Survey number: HABS VA-976
Building/structure dates: 1803 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1859 Subsequent Work