Antietam National Cemetery, Lodge House, Shepherdstown Pike (State Route 34), Sharpsburg, Washington County, MD
Significance: The cemetery's significance lies primarily in the events of the Civil War Battle of Antietam which led to its creation. Architecturally, its elaborate entrance gate and gothic-inspired lodge house typify the designs popular in the mid-nineteenth century.
Located at the entrance gate to Antietam National Cemetery, the Lodge House is an important part of the cemetery's historic landscape. This structure served as the living quarters and office for the cemetery's superintendent while its observation tower provided a commanding view of the Antietam Civil War battlefield to visitors. Although similar in function to other national cemetery lodges, the Antietam Lodge was constructed under the auspices of the Antietam National Cemetery Commission established by the state of Maryland. As such it predates Quartermaster General Montgomery Meigs' 1871 standard plan for National Cemetery lodges. Instead, the Lodge's Gothic Revival design was executed by Washington, D.C. architect Paul Pelz. The national cemetery was governed by the Board of Trustees of the Antietam National Cemetery Commission until 1877, when the War Department took over stewardship.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-135
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N745
Survey number: HABS MD-936-A
Building/structure dates: 1867 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1936 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1928 Subsequent Work