Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Harpers Ferry Station, Potomac Street, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, WV
Significance: The train station at Harpers Ferry provides an excellent opportunity to study the relationship between railroad engineering and railroad economics. Designed by architect E. Francis Baldwin, the station was built as the finishing touch on a series of improvements made to the main line at Harpers Ferry from 1892-1894. The station was moved from its original location to its present site in 1931 during a second round of improvements. Both sets of improvements were made during periods of economic uncertainty and both significantly modified the historic landscape of Harpers Ferry. The station is historically significant today, not only for its association with a notable architect, but also because it continues a long record of service for the region's rail passengers.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N963
Survey number: HAER WV-86
Building/structure dates: 1894 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1913 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1930-1931 Subsequent Work