Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Queen City Hotel & Station, West Side of Park Street, Opposite Ann Street, Cumberland, Allegany County, MD
Significance: The Queen City Hotel was one of five combination station-hotels built by the B & O during the 1870s. It was designed by Thomas N. Heskett of the railroad's road department, was Italianate in style, and was "opened for the accommodation and entertainment of passengers" in 1872. Though no longer used as a hotel after the demise of rail passenger ridership following World War II, the Queen City was one of the last remaining grand, railroad hotels in the United States at the time of survey. The station-hotel was highly ornamented. The most notable features were the wooden cupola centered over the main entry and the floral, cast-iron trelliswork that supported the roof of a broad porch that extended across the entire trackside facade of the building. In addition to the building's outstanding architectural significance, it was also important for its sociological associations.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-1
Survey number: HAER MD-4
Building/structure dates: 1872 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1972 Demolished