Belleview, 3201 Steed Road, Fort Washington, Prince George's County, MD
2009 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: Belleview an excellent example of a small, early plantation house, represents what must have been a common early-settlement house type, which rarely survives today. Early dwellings such as this were later supplanted by a second generation of substantial manor houses financed by the tobacco prosperity of the late-18th and early-19th centuries. Belleview began as a modest ca. 1792 hall-and-parlor-plan house and evolved into a somewhat more sophisticated residence with a number of additions, including the flounder section to the side and the Greek Revival interior detail added ca. 1830. The farmstead has an interesting collection of outbuildings, including a log meathouse and one of the oldest tobacco barns in the county. The farmstead has been in the Lowe-Steed family since it was first settled.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1435
Survey number: HABS MD-654
Building/structure dates: 1792 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1830 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1960