Berkeley Public Library, 2090 Kittredge Street, Berkeley, Alameda County, CA
Significance: As a major civic work designed by distinguished local architect James Plachek, the Berkeley Public Library is both architecturally and culturally significant. The building, which is sited prominently on the corner of Kittredge Street and Shattuck Avenue in downtown Berkeley, exhibits Moderne formal characteristics which were popular during the 1920s and 1930s. Construction of the building began in 1929 and continued through the Great Depression through the support of the local community and came to symbolize the city's progress and commitment to public education. The Berkeley Public Library is significant as a civic monument which was highly regarded by the public at its opening and has gained prestige over its long history. The Library continues to serve as an anchor in its urban and social context. On April 19, 1982 the library was designated a Berkeley City Landmark and on June 25 of the same year the building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Survey number: HABS CA-2697
Building/structure dates: 1931 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1963 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 82002156