Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
Blackwater Presbyterian Church, State Road 54, Clarksville, Sussex County, DE

Blackwater Presbyterian Church, State Road 54, Clarksville, Sussex County, DE

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall640x457
  • save_altMedium1024x730
  • save_altLarge1600x1141
  • save_altOriginal3840x2739
description

Summary

Significance: Oldest Presbyterian church building in southern Delaware. Founded by Charles Tennent. // 1767; rebuilt 1893. Clapboard siding over, presumably, heavy timber. Approximately 30' x 35'. Clapboards on west side are beaded; hood over doorway supported by brackets. Simple pews; heated by two stoves; oil lamps; stenciled frieze; plaque in north wall reads "Blackwater Church Built 1767. First Pastor Charles Tennent. Rebuilt 1893." The extent of rebuilding in 1893 is not known; scratched in plaster on interior was found "1860;" patches in clapboarding above and below west windows indicate window size changed; new roof 1970s; brick wall around churchyard, 1970s.
Survey number: HABS DE-200
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 76000583

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Jandoli, Liz, transmitter
place

Location

Clarksville38.54900, -75.14768
Google Map of 38.5490015, -75.14768459999999
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Exploreclarksville

Exploreblackwater

Exploreblackwater presbyterian church