Bluff Dale Suspension Bridge, Spanning Paluxy River at County Route 149, Bluff Dale, Erath County, TX
- Upscale 2x6180x7680
Significance: The Bluff Dale Suspension Bridge is the oldest surviving cable-stayed suspension bridge in Texas and may also be the oldest in the United States. One of seven Texas suspension bridges surviving from before 1940, it is part of a once extensive regional tradition of vernacular suspension bridges. Repaired in 1899 by the Flinn-Moyer Bridge Company and moved in 1934, the Bluff Dale bridge is also the only known surviving example of Edwin Elijah Runyon's bridge patents. The structure was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N526
Survey number: HAER TX-36
Building/structure dates: 1890
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 77001440