Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
Bodie, General View, Bodie State Historic Park, Bodie, Mono County, CA

Bodie, General View, Bodie State Historic Park, Bodie, Mono County, CA

 
 
description

Summary

Significance: Bodie is a Registered National Historic Landmark, and California Historical Landmark #341. Placer gold was first discovered here in July, 1859 and a quartz vein was discovered in August, 1859; but, though many efforts were made to exploit the area, it was not until 1874 that the great potential wealth of the district became promising. Bodie reached its pinnacle by 1879-80 when the population was estimated at 10 to 12 thousand, and when the production from the mines on Bodie Bluff was at its peak. During all of the productive years the mines contributed from 95 to 100 million in gold and silver bullion; and "highgrading" was carried on so openly that it was the magnet for the worst of the underworld who made "The Bad Man From Bodie" notorious. Because of the remoteness and the rapid exodus of the populace when mining became unproductive the town is truly a "Ghost Town," without a single all-year inhabitant and with buildings typical of a hastily built mining camp gradually falling to ruins. Its final demise occurred after the fire of 1946 destroyed the Klipstein-Rosecrans Mill which had just been restored to operation in a sporadic effort to revive gold mining in face of diminishing returns due to price pegging. Bodie has been acquired (in 1962) by the State of California as a State Park under the jurisdiction of the Division of Beaches and Parks.
Survey number: HABS CA-1918
Building/structure dates: 1839 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1859 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1874 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1879-1880 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1946 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1962 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1892 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1932 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000213

date_range

Date

1918
person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Bodey, William S
Standard Ore Mill
Cafe
Odd Fellow's Hall
Miners' Union Hall
Morticians' Building
Siller House
Stewert House
Bell House
Klipstein-Rosecrans mill
California State Park, Division of Beaches & Parks
Painto Indians
Bunker Hill Mine
Bodie mine
Red Cloud mine
Jupiter mine
Owyhee mine
Midnight mine
Noonday mine
Bulwer Mine
Mono Syndicate mine
Eureka mine
Cain, James Stuart
Porter Lumber Company
J.S. Cain Company
Leggett, Tom
Cain Museum
Green Creek hydroelectric plant
Ward's Cemetery
Masonic Cemetery
Miners' Union Cemetery
Boot Hill Cemetery
Chinese burial grounds
Maiden Lane
Virgin Alley
Chinatown
Wells Fargo
Pope, Charles St. George, project manager
Partridge, Ronald, photographer
Koue, A Lewis, historian
place

Location

create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html