Borough House, West Side State Route 261, about .1 mile south side of junction with old Garners Ferry Road, Stateburg, Sumter County, SC
Significance: The Borough House is a late 18th and early 19th century plantation house with numerous surviving dependencies and extensive gardens. Major structures in the complex were designed and built in a modified Greek Revival style. Portions of the main house and seven of its dependencies are constructed of rammed earth, a highly unusual material for this style of architecture in the United States. The gardens show influences of European and American design traditions. In addition to the architectural and landscape features of this complex, the home also has important historical associations for the state and nation related to the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. The Borough House complex was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Stateburg Historic District in 1971 and as an individual site in 1972.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N228
Survey number: HABS SC-362
Building/structure dates: 1758 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 72001224