Brand Building, 120-124 Saint Clair Street, Toledo, Lucas County, OH
Significance: The Brand Building is significant as an example of a fully developed, Italianate style commercial structure in Toledo. It is one of few remaining commercial buildings in the city with a stone facade, and is noted as the work of well-known 19th century contractor/builder John Von San Fleet, whose works have virtually disappeared from the urban environment. It is also significant as the home of two prominent Toledo wholesale enterprises: the R. Brand and Co. wine and liquor dealership, which built the building in 1874 while under the ownership of Adolph Brand and Guido Marx, Toledo mayor (1876-1878) and state representative (1871-1875); and the Western Shoe Company which remained at this location from 1910 until June 1984. The Western Shoe Company, founded in 1867, is one of the oldest continuously operating businesses in the City of Toledo.
Survey number: HABS OH-2258