Britt House, 201 South First Street, Jacksonville, Jackson County, OR
Significance: Peter Britt, a Swiss landscape and portrait painter, arrived in Jacksonville in 1852, and established the first photography studio in Oregon. The Britt House represented the rural charm of country Gothic architecture popular for a brief period in the United States. In 1860, the first part of the house was constructed as a single block with dormer windows lighting the second level. In the late 1880's a higher studio wing containing a sky-light was added at right angles to the first structure. After Britt's death in 1907, in 1912 a third addition of a second story was constructed onto the kitchen wing. Wall construction consisted of wood frame with rock foundations. A fire in 1960, completely leveled the house, yet a major share of the exterior trim was preserved. Since that time, the maze gardens about the house have been turned into a city park owned by the Britt Estate and the State of Oregon.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-11
Survey number: HABS OR-49
Building/structure dates: after 1860 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: after 1880 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1912 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1960 Demolished