Bryan Lathrop House, 120 East Bellevue Place, Chicago, Cook County, IL
2007 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: A notable example of neo-Georgian Architecture in Chicago, the house was designed by McKim, Mead and White for Bryan Lathrop, a Chicago philanthropist and cultural leader. Born in Alexandria, VA on August 8, 1844, Lathrop moved to Chicago at 21. He served as trustee of the Art Institute of Chicago and of the Newberry Library, president of the Chicago Relief and Aid Society, University Club, and the Saddle and Cycle Club. Most notable however, is Lathrop's contribution to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. He was trustee and vice president of the Orchestral Association from 1895-1899, and president from 1899 until his death in 1916. He bequeathed a significant sum to the Orchestral Association which was used to endow the Civic Orchestra...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1084
Survey number: HABS IL-1037
Building/structure dates: 1891- 1893 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1922 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 74000753