Burton Park, Club House & Amphitheater, Adjacent ot south end of Chestnut Avenue, San Carlos, San Mateo County, CA
Significance: Dedicated July 28, 1940, Burton Park and its attendant buildings are significant as the first public recreation facility established by the City of San Carlos, and as the first Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in San Carlos. The use of adobe for the parks buildings represents a local manifestation of the use of rustic materials and designs established during this period by the National Park Service. Burton Park gave the city a facility wholly in keeping with national, regional, and local recreational and architectural trends, and whose building design and scale were consistent with the surrounding residential areas which featured a number of buildings in variations of other Spanish revival styles.
Survey number: HABS CA-2676-A