Camp Reynolds, Commanding Officer's Quarters, Angel Island State Park, Angel Island, Marin County, CA
Significance: Camp Reynolds was established on Angel Island in 1863 to enhance the coastal defenses of San Francisco Bay during the Civil War. In 1866 Camp Reynolds became the army's general depot for receiving and distributing new recruits in the West. From the 1860s through the 1880s a village of wood frame buildings including a chapel, officers' quarters, barracks, and various support structures was constructed and expanded. Now part of Angel Island State Park, Camp Reynolds features a remarkable collection of surviving officers' quarters from the 1860s and 1870s.
Dating to the Civil War era, the Commanding Officer's Quarters is one of the oldest extant structures on Angel Island. Although always occupied as an army structure, this building reflects domestic architecture of the second half of the nineteenth century in its asymmetrical form, numerous porches, and plain but fashionable detailing. Numerous changes to the structure indicate continual adaptation for use by army personnel. As the commanding officer's residence this structure was the largest and most elaborately appointed quarters on the base until the construction of a new commanding officer's quarters at the East Garrison in 1910-11. In subsequent years this structure was altered and became quarters for lessor ranking personnel.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N898
Survey number: HABS CA-1841-A
Building/structure dates: 1863