Campbell Building, 102-124 Eighth Street, Augusta, Richmond County, GA
- Upscale 2x6154x7680
Significance: This two-story brick building is located on the southeast corner of Eighth and Reynolds Street and is a good example of commercial structures built in downtown Augusta following the devastating fire of 1916. Though the detailing on the structure is relatively simple, and the storefronts have been modernized, it is the only remaining structure with this particular shape and appearance. Historical significance includes its location at the heart of "Cotton Row" area and its continuous ownership by one family. Cotton brokers and agents were among the first tenants in the building, despite the fact that it was built at a time when cotton was in decline as a major force in the local economy. Its location across the street from the Cotton Exchange, and in close proximity to the remaining cotton warehouses, made the Campbell Building a good location for those involved in the cotton trade. Polk's City Directory of 1917 lists insurance and real estate agents, lawyers, and engineers among the other original tenants in the building. The Harison family owned and operated the Campbell Building. According to a trust deed dated March 4, 1922, the building appears to have been built with a combination of family funds and insurance money following the 1916 fire. The building was named for a relative of the current owner, Mr. Phil S. Harison. Property records indicate that the Harisons have owned this particular tract since at least 1884. Records also show that the Harisons have been involved in real estate acquisition and development in the Augusta area for three generations.
Survey number: HABS GA-2181
Building/structure dates: ca. 1917 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1963 Subsequent Work