Captain John Maudsley House, 228 Spring Street, Newport, Newport County, RI
Significance: The original (now back) part of the house was constructed around 1680 by Jireh Bull. It had two rooms, and the chamfered summerbeams are still insitu. In the mid eighteenth century, Captain John Maudsley (or Mawdsley) expanded the dwelling, building the front portion seen from the street today.
While Caleb Gardner owned the house, a slave named Newport Gardner (Occramar Marycoo) lived on the property. He later helped found the African Humane Society, and when freed, bought a house of his own. (Buildings of Rhode Island, p. 537)
Survey number: HABS RI-35
Building/structure dates: ca. 1770 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1680 Initial Construction