Centre Market, Market Street between Twenty-second & Twenty-third Streets, Wheeling, Ohio County, WV
Significance: The 1853 structure was originally designed as an open market in the neo-classical style, with three aisles and cast iron Doric columns. The columns were cast by the Hamilton and Rogers Foundry, in Wheeling, and alternate columns serve as downspouts. The building has a gabled roof with a denticulated cornice, and a belfry at the south end. The stalls, which could be rented from the city, were arranged in three rows: vegetables were sold on either side and butchers occupied the center area. In the twentieth century, the stalls were replaced by refrigerators, display cases, and folding tables, and the market structures was enclosed with cinder block infill construction. The cinder block walls were built around the columns, so that they area still visible on the outside of the building. The columns support the roof, which has been reshingled. The interior still has the original pressed tin ceiling and cornice molding.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-20
Survey number: HAER WV-26
Building/structure dates: 1853 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1890 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 87000127