Charlestown Navy Yard, Oxygen Plant, Midway along northern boundary of Charlestown Navy Yard, on Little Mystic Channel, near junction of Eighteenth Street & Fourth Avenue, Boston, Suffolk County, MA
The Boston Redevelopment Authority hired William A. Owens to document all buildings in the Charlestown Navy Yard in 1977, most of which were exterior photographs.
Significance: Building 277 is a significant architectural remnant representing technological improvements at Charlestown Navy Yard during World War II. It was built in 1942 as an oxygen transfer and bottle filling station, and served as the point of origin for an oxygen distribution piping system, which provided oxygen to the shipyard's piers and steel fabrication facilities.
Survey number: HAER MA-90-62
Building/structure dates: 1942 Initial Construction