Cherokee Female Seminary, Northeastern Oklahoma State University Campus, Tahlequah, Cherokee County, OK
Significance: Seminary Hall, as the structure is popularly known, has served the purposes of education since its completion in 1889. Built of locally produced materials, it replaced the original Seminary building in nearby Park Hill, which burned on Easter Sunday in 1887. It is a strong statement of the importance of education to the Cherokees, who had been from the time of the "Removal" the most culturally progressive of the American Indian tribes. The late Romanesque Revival building was the most elaborate high-style structure in the area and has always been a source of pride to the Cherokees. As a successor to the first Seminary building, it represents the oldest institution of higher learning for women west of the Mississippi.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1712
Survey number: HABS OK-23
Building/structure dates: 1887-1889 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1909-1912 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1924-1935 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 73001558