Chi Omega Greek Theater, Dickson Street, Fayetteville, Washington County, AR
1995 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: The Chi Omega Greek Theater on the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville is constructed as a gift to the university for commemorating the founding of Chi Omega at the university and as a memorial to the founders of the Chi Omega sorority. The contract for the construction of the Chi Omega Greek Theater began on February 5 by the Young-Bryan Construction Company of Fort Smith with a bid of $31,225. Bryan a special committee, the contract is awarded on February 5th, 1930. The Chi Omega Theater became a long-cherished reality on June 28th, 1930. It is the only structure of its kind in the United States of America. The Chi Omega Theater is almost a replica of a theater built in Greece by Dionysus over 2,400 years ago at the lower level of the Acropolis. The Chi Omega Theater is an imposing appearance in its natural setting. The Chi Omega Theater is located west of the university shops, and the back of the stage is north of Dickson Street and one hundred feet west of Buchannan Street. The back row of seats joins the curved street by entering the campus from Ozark Avenue at Dickson Street.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N200
Survey number: HABS AR-44
Building/structure dates: 1930 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 92001101