Christ Church (Episcopal), Columbus & Cameron Streets, Alexandria, Independent City, VA
- Upscale 2x5474x7680
Significance: Belonging to the Alexandria-Fairfax Church Group, based on plan of James Wren, local architect and builder. Original dimensions proposed 40' x 60' but the building was enlarged to approximately 50' x 60' thus admitting additional pews, which were accordingly sold to meet the increased expenditures. George Washington purchased No. 5 for L 36/10s. The highest price paid. After the Revolution he attended the Church more or less regularly until his death. Rev. Thomas Davis who was rector in 1799 conducted the funeral services at Mount Vernon. Washington's intimate relationships with Christ Church are set forth in an address made by the Rev. Philip Slaughter in 1889 (Address on the Centennial Anniversary of Washington's Inauguration), published the same year and now a rarity in the Library of Congress. One of the treasured relics in the Church is the family Bible of Washington, presented by the General's ward, George Washington Park Custis, of "Arlington" in 1804. Washington's pew may be seen today restored to its original square form. Across the aisle from it is the pew occupied by General Robert E. Lee who from boyhood attended the Church was confirmed here.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-134
Survey number: HABS VA-479
Building/structure dates: 1773 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 70000899