Clay Spur Bentonite Plant & Camp, Stable, Clay Spur Siding on Burlington Northern Railroad, Osage, Weston County, WY
Significance: The Clay Spur Bentonite Plant and Camp is associated with the early 20th century bentonite mining industry in Wyoming and the United States. The Clay Spur Bentonite District was the center of the pioneer Wyoming bentonite industry and remained the premier Wyoming producing district until reserves began to dwindle in the 1950s. The plant embodies the distinctive engineering technology of the bentonite industry. The camp also reflects early twentieth century company town architecture with simple buildings and floor plans that could be quickly and cheaply constructed and adapted to many different uses. The stable is a one-story wood frame building (18.2 feet east-west by 38 feet north-south) with a gable roof covered with corrugated tin sheeting. The exterior walls are covered with board and batten siding. It does not appear on the 1940 layout of the camp, but is shown on the 1957 layout as "stable." The interior currently retains portions of electrical switch boards and possible turbine or generator parts.
Survey number: HAER WY-23-A
Building/structure dates: 1957 Initial Construction