Cleveland Grays Armory, 1234 Bolivar Road, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH
- Upscale 2x2048x1384
2006 Charles E. Peterson Prize, First Place
Significance: Established in 1837, the Cleveland Grays were a volunteer militia whose members were among the first to serve during the Civil War. The Armory, built in 1893, served as the home base for the Grays. The Grays were born through a series of events starting with the City Watch program to deal with criminal infractions in Cleveland. The beginning activities of the Grays were marked first in response to local exigency, increased need for maintenance of law and order, and a local response to an external crisis...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1097
Survey number: HABS OH-158
Building/structure dates: 1893 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 73001409