Colonel John Cox House, 3339 N Street, Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
- Upscale 2x7680x5518
Significance: The Colonel John Cox House, constructed in 1816-17 at 3339 N Street in Georgetown, is a handsome and imposing federal-era town house on a substantial corner lot. The house was built as the western anchor and largest unit of a row of five nearly identical town houses known as cox's row. These sophisticated houses exemplify the architecture of Georgetown during the federal period in their solid brick construction. Typical side-hall floor plans and use of fashionable decorative elements based on builders' pattern books. The house's main facade is virtually unaltered; its principal interior spaces retain their general layout and have features which, although primarily dating to a 1940's renovation are mainly sympathetic to the original character of the house. Generous front side and rear yards, extensively re-landscaped in the 1940s' provide unusually ample lawn and garden space around the house. there have been only three principal periods of ownership and very few phases of construction alterations...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N657
Survey number: HABS DC-150
Building/structure dates: 1816-1817 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1944-1945 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 67000025