Colonial Sugars Company, Power House, Gramercy, St. James Parish, LA
1996 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: Designed by the firm of McKim, Mead and White in 1929, the POWER HOUSE features handsome neo-classical articulation with a rusticated base and two story piano noble culminating in a more or less full entablature and a pediment with parapet. Its Doric pilasters are coupled at the ends of the facade. The piano noble is a two story space which contains three steam turbine generators, the oldest of which was built by General Electric and installed in 1930. The power house acquired a rear addition with a fourth generator in 1968.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N370
Survey number: HABS LA-1264-A
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 94000858