Cunningham Cabin, Between Snake River & U.S. Route 89, Moose, Teton County, WY
Significance: James Pierce Cunningham came to Jackson Hole in 1888 from the state of New York. In 1889 he filed a homestead claim on 160 acres east of the Snake River. The Cunningham Ranch was among the earliest in the valley. Cunningham lived in a tent his first year in Jackson. Later he built a log cabin on the land. There exists some doubt in historians' minds that the present reconstructed cabin is the original one. Mrs. Cunningham arrived in 1895 and she and Pierce lived in the south room of the present cabin and the men, who were working on the building of a new house, lived in the north room. These rooms were separated by a breezeway. When the Cunninghams moved into their new house the north room of the cabin was made into a blacksmith shop. Horse thieves were shot on the Cunningham Ranch in 1893 as they emerged from this (or another) cabin by a posse in waiting. The present cabin was restored to its present condition in 1956.
Survey number: HABS WY-25
Building/structure dates: 1888 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 73000225