Cyclorama Building, 125 Taneytown Road, Gettysburg, Adams County, PA
Significance: One of a handful of high profile new visitor centers designed by famous architects as part of the larger Mission 66 initiative. Mission 66 was a NPS-wide effort to upgrade park visitor facilities and provide more professional interpretation for growing crowds of visitors. The program lasted from roughly 1956 to 1966, culminating at the 50th anniversary of NPS. Ever since the immediate post-Civil War years, private and government organizations struggled to simultaneously provide access to important battlefield and commemorative landscape at Gettysburg...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1001
Survey number: HABS PA-6709
Building/structure dates: 1962 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 2013 Demolished