Delaware & Raritan Canal, Ten Mile Run Culvert, 1.5 miles South of Blackwells Road, East Millstone, Somerset County, NJ
Significance: The Ten Mile Run Culvert is an integral part of the Delaware & Raritan Canal's (hereafter D&R Canal) early nineteenth-century engineering design. The culvert's original construction remains largely intact and consists of three 130-foot-long stone masonry barrels that carry Ten Mile Run beneath the canal prism. Built between 1830 and 1834, the D&R Canal is an excellent example of early nineteenth-century American canal technology. In 1973, the D&R Canal, including Ten Mile Run Culvert, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Survey number: HAER NJ-68
Building/structure dates: ca. 1834 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1933
Building/structure dates: 1944 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1986 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: NR