Eglin Air Force Base, Hangar No. 1, 505 Choctawhatchee Avenue, Valparaiso, Okaloosa County, FL
- Upscale 2x7680x6178
Significance: As one of the original buildings constructed at Eglin Air Force Base, HANGAR 1 (Building No. 66) has played a crucial role during the World War II, Korean War, Cold War, and post Cold War eras. Through these eras Eglin served a primary role in weapons testing, tactics training, and aircraft climate testing. HANGAR 1 (Building No. 66) was constructed during the World War II era (1940) and was part of the intensive mobilization efforts on military reservations during that time period. This building functioned as an aircraft maintenance, repair and inspection facility, playing an important role in the initial construction of the Eglin flight line and the development of modern air power. Eglin distinguished itself during this period in its role as a facility for the testing of aircraft and armaments. Such distinguishing World War II events include the training for Lt. Col. James "Jimmy" Doolittle's legendary raid on Tokyo, development of the JB-2 missile, and aircraft climate testing. HANGAR 1 (Building No. 66) is typical of hangar construction during World War II, built from standardized plans associated with the mass military mobilization between 1940 and 1945. When considered original architecture, Hangar 1 (Building No. 66) represents the early stage of hangar construction and materials associated with the World War II mobilization. The second hangar constructed at Eglin, Hangar 1 (Building No. 66) was constructed with steel trusses and sidewalls. Subsequent hangars at Eglin were constructed with wooden trusses and various sidewall materials, due to the shortage of steel by 1942.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N519
Survey number: HABS FL-411-A
Building/structure dates: 1940-1942 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1947 Subsequent Work