Eighteenth District School, 1326 Hopple Street, Cincinnati, Hamilton County, OH
Significance: The original east wing of the school building was constructed in 1882. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 as part of a thematic listing of properties designed by the noted Cincinnati architect Samuel Hannaford. The significance of the Washington Elementary School has been called into some question. Although the design of the original east wing has been attributed to Samuel Hannaford, documentation indicates that the design was actually that of the nineteenth-century Cincinnati architect Henry Bevis. Sources credit Bevis with the design of several schools in the city. The building appears eligible for the National Register, although Samuel Hannaford was not associated with its design. A school has occupied this site since 1845, twenty years prior to the annexation of Camp Washington by the city. In terms of architectural style and historic association, the current building is a representative example of the rapid expansion of Cincinnati's nineteenth-century system of district schools. It has long served as a focal point in the community and is a highly visible landmark in the Mill Creek Valley. The school was formerly known as the Eighteenth District School.
Survey number: HABS OH-2377
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 80003051