El Progresso de Ybor Grocery, 2506 North Twelfth Street, Tampa, Hillsborough County, FL
- Upscale 2x6278x7680
Significance: This building's architectural and historical significance is derived from its contribution to the Ybor City National Historic Landmark District. Ybor City is a section of Tampa founded and built by Vicente M. Ybor and Ignacio Haya as a cigar-manufacturing center and town. This company town was planned by Gavino Gutierrez to include cigar factories, workers housing, public spaces, and commercial buildings. This district is significant for its importance to Tampa's architectural heritage, as it contains many of the City's best remaining examples of late-nineteenth century and early-twentieth century domestic, religious, commercial, and industrial buildings. This former grocery is associated with the warehouse located next door at 1021-1025 East Fourteenth Avenue (HABS No. FL-551). This building was constructed to serve as a grocery store on the first floor with apartments located on the second floor. It represents a once common commercial structure, but is now an increasingly rare historic resource found in Ybor City.
Survey number: HABS FL-549
Building/structure dates: ca. 1908 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 74000641