F. & A.M. Union Lodge, 63 Main Street, Nantucket, Nantucket County, MA
Significance: One of first buildings to break with the simple architectural style of Quaker Nantucket and include extensive Federal style decoration. The Masonic Hall, built about 1805, was one of the first buildings on the island with elaborate classic detail. As built, there were five bays with the main entry in the center, probably shops on either side, and a large hall on the second floor. In 1875 the two bays to the west of the entry were taken down and a house built where they had stood.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-197
Survey number: HABS MA-899
Building/structure dates: 1802 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1872 Subsequent Work