Feed Store-School, Route 29 & Route 631, Madison, Madison County, VA
Significance: The James City Historic District is historically and architecturally significant as an example of a community that remains a time-capsule of late 18th to early 20th century domestic, commercial, and agricultural structures. Built along what was the main road from Fredericksburg to Madison County, the complex served as a stop for stagecoach travelers and a place for business. During the second half of the nineteenth century new roads were built. As a result, the Fredericksburg Road went into decline and eventually became part of the farmland. The buildings, however, remained intact. The Feed Store and School date to the early nineteenth century. What is known today as the school was originally constructed as a dwelling.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1075
Survey number: HABS VA-1417
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 01000691