First Congregational Church, 1106 Chestnut Street, Western Springs, Cook County, IL
2007 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Honorable Mention
Significance: In the 1920s, First Congregational Church of Western Springs was growing out of its original frame building and needed to expand. Seeking a new building that would be Gothic in spirit, the congregation chose Prairie School architect George Grant Elmslie's design for "its originality, its unusual beauty, and its practicality." With Elmslie's help, they believed, their new church would "not only be efficient and an ornament to the village, but...a contribution to church architecture in America." Elmslie (1871-1952) was born in Scotland and moved to Chicago with his family in 1884. He began his career as an apprentice to William Le Baron Jenney, and by 1889 had joined Frank Lloyd Wright in the office of Sankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1088
Survey number: HABS IL-1223