First Congregational Church (North Vestry), Beacon Hill, Centre Street, Nantucket, Nantucket County, MA
Significance: The North Vestry is one of the oldest church buildings in America still in use. / The North Vestry was built at Sherburne, perhaps in 1711, as the First Congregational Meetinghouse. In 1765, it was moved, as were many houses of that first settlement, re-erected, and perhaps enlarged, on the top of Beacon Hill in the new town. In 1834, it was moved a short distance to the west to make room for the present church, and the tower, put up in 1795, was taken down. It then became the vestry and winter church. The interior box pews and galleries of the early building have disappeared.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-200
Survey number: HABS MA-903
Building/structure dates: ca. 1732 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1765
Building/structure dates: 1834