First Methodist Episcopal Church, East side of Fourth Avenue, Niobrara, Knox County, NE
Significance: The Methodist Episcopal Church was built circa 1880 in the original waterfront town of Niobrara. In 1881-82, the church, along with many other structures, was moved to a "new" townsite after the disastrous flood of 1881. It is today one of the few remaining moved structures. According to minutes recorded at the turn of the century, the congregation was never strong and there were often membership problems. The church was eventually abandoned by its members in 1928 and the building was sold to the Niobrara Public Library Association in 1935. The first library facility in Niobrara opened in 1935 and continued to serve the community until the 1970s. The church is a representative example of the standard plan and form of similar churches all over Nebraska, having a symmetrical plan, gable roof and Gothic Revival elements.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-27
Survey number: HABS NE-25
Building/structure dates: 1880 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1881- 1882 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1909 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1935 Subsequent Work