Fort Des Moines Historic Complex, Building No. 135, Des Moines, Polk County, IA
Significance: Completed on January 23, 1904, at a cost of $11,535.00, Building No. 135 conformed to the Quartermaster General's plan 55E for storehouses. The single story building was situated in an east-west alignment along the south side of Rogers Road. Built of brick on a rusticated limestone foundation, and possessing a gabled slate roof, the storehouse measured 35 feet wide by 174 feet 11 inches long and had a capacity for 500,000 lbs. of grain for feeding the cavalry horses. The brick was arranged in running bond and joined with red-pigmented mortar. The east end of the building contained two single sash windows. The west end contained one single door and one single sash window. The south side had six double doors, ten single sash windows, and two double hung windows. The north side contained six single doors. All openings had 3-course segmental arches; each window had a plain lug limestone sill. The building was equipped with iron gutters and downspouts. Four ventilators topped the ridge of the roof, and an external chimney, possibly added later, stood at the west end. Beneath the eaves were ornamental rafter tails. A firewall capped with tile projected through the roof at the halfway point. There was a basement.
Survey number: HABS IA-121-AA
Building/structure dates: 1904 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1935 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 74000805