Fort Des Moines Historic Complex, Building No. 68, Des Moines, Polk County, IA
- Upscale 2x7680x6144
Significance: This structure stood almost directly south of Building No. 66 and consisted of a stable barn for cavalry mounts. Completed on February 24, 1905, at a cost of $14,843.10, the building rested on a limestone water table foundation and had brick walls and a slate roof. Mortar was red-pigmented and brick was laid in running bond. The building conformed to plan 139 in the Quartermaster General's Office. Dimensions of the structure were 67 feet wide by 165 feet long and it had a gabled roof with a monitor at the ridge. On the exterior, sixteen 6-over-6 light double hung windows ran along the side walls. Openings had 3-course segmental arches, and windows had plain lug limestone sills. Sliding doors were in front and rear, along with five double hung windows situated at either end. On the inside, containing 10,556 square feet, the floors were of wood, brick, cement, and clay.
Survey number: HABS IA-121-L
Building/structure dates: 1905 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1942 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 74000805