Fort Larned, Officers' Quarters (North), Larned, Pawnee County, KS
Significance: Fort Larned was originally built of adobe. In 1865 the first stone structure was erected. By 1968 there were ten permanent sandstone buildings. Nine of these still stand to be viewed by the public. Each officer quarters contains four sets of quarters to accommodate two captains and four lieutenants. The captains quarters are in the ends and consist of two rooms and kitchen, from which opens a servant's room. The two rooms communicate by folding doors and the kitchen opens into the back or bedroom. Under the kitchen is a cellar that has been transformed into a kitchen, leaving the kitchen proper for use as a dining room. On the opposite side of the hall, two lieutenants lived in one room each, without kitchens.
Survey number: HABS KS-29
Building/structure dates: ca. 1868 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000107