Fort Leavenworth, Building No. 16, 24 Sumner Place, Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, KS
Significance: Building #16 and its duplicate, #15, retain a high degree of integrity in their architecture and in their setting. These structures are fine examples of the frame Italianate cottage. Buildings of similar design were evidently a relatively common type for the frontier army in the post Civil War era. There were at least eight at Fort Leavenworth; these two are the only ones extant at this post. In addition to their long association with the old Parade ground - the site of the original Cantonment - this pair represents a key period in the Fort's history, that of the Indian wars. Also, 1870 marked the beginning of a twenty-year period in which the Fort served as headquarters for the Department of the Missouri, which directed military affairs in five states and territories during the decade.
Survey number: HABS KS-53-E
Building/structure dates: 1870 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1903 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000346